Saturday, January 21, 2012

If You Can't Handle the Heat...

I love anything spicy! My mom always tells me she knew I would because when she was pregnant with me all she could eat is spicy food! For me, if it doesn't have any spice to it, it is pretty tasteless. Well sweet or spicy, I do love me some dessert. So how about a recipe for Sweet and Spicy Honey Grilled Shrimp? Heck yes! So when I found this on Pinterest, which if you aren't on please get on and follow me, http://www.pinterest.com/christinescally/, I had to share this with you. It originally comes from ourbestbites.com, which is a great blog s check that out too. :) If anyone makes these let me know how they are! I hope to be making them soon!

Sweet and Spicy Honey Grilled Shrimp

2-2 1/2 lb. raw, shelled, de-veined shrimp; raw shrimp are blue or grey, not pink. Get Tiger Shrimp if you can find them. Oh, and that “vein”? It’s not actually a vein. It’s poop. Don’t let the Euphamism Police trick you.
1 Tbsp. minced or pressed garlic
1/4 c. minced fresh ginger
1/4 c. hot chili garlic paste
1/2 c. sweet chili garlic paste
1 c. honey
1 c. fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1 c. canola oil

Rinse shrimp in cold water and place in a large Ziploc bag. Combine garlic, ginger, both chili pastes, honey, lime juice, salt, pepper, and oil in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Set aside 1 c. of the marinade. Pour remaining mixture over shrimp and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours. When ready to cook, thread shrimp onto skewers.

If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for at least 1/2 hour before skewering anything. Preheat outdoor grill. This really should be done outside because they get VERY smokey! When grill is hot, reduce heat to low and quickly place all skewers over the heat. Brush with reserved marinade. When they’ve cooked for 1 1/2-2 minutes, quickly flip them over and brush or drizzle with remaining marinade. Cook for another 1 1/2-2 minutes, or until opaque and pink.

Shrimp cook extremely quickly and you don’t want to overcook them, but these are pretty forgiving if you do. Remove skewers from grill and remove shrimp from skewers. Pile them on a big ol’ platter, drizzle with any remaining reserved marinade, and squeeze the juice from a lime all over them.

Toss to distribute the deliciousness.

I definitely have to say again that this recipe comes from ourbestbites.com and they also have suggested side dishes on their site with recipes for coconut rice and other great sides for this dish. Another thing they have is a few more pictures to help you along with this recipe. So thanks for the recipe ourbestbites.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment